Slit Scanning

My final project was on the topic of capturing motion through the use of slit scanning. I chose this subject as I was intrigued by the way my experimentation came out when I had attempted it in a previous week’s assignment. In that assignment, I had been the subject and the video was simply recorded and the slits were arranged in real time, the results were a blurry continuous form of my face. This is what drew me to having the human figure as a subject for my final project and as I did in the midterm I turned to my favorite muse; my roommate. I decided that instead of recording a portrait style video where my roommate was simply moving in the same place as I had originally intended, I would record her walking around on the street and in a park nearby. I wanted the park and a not too busy street to be the background for this because I hoped that it would allow for me to experiment with editing the results further in Photoshop.

After the first review of our proposals in class I realized that the code for this slit scanning technique would have to differ quite a bit from the one shared by The Coding Train video. Thus, my battle was to figure out how to incorporate pre-recorded video footage into processing, I achieved this by using the Movie datatype as opposed to the Capture one. As I continued to alter the code for the slit-scan I had a slight problem where the video was not being read by the program. However, I confided in Scott and he gave me a quick and simple solution. As I continued to test the program I realized it was too slow and I didn’t like the way the slits looked. I then opted to add some variety in the sizes of the slits based on how much of the window had been covered. This added an interesting effect that I continued to work with just adjusting the size between 100 pixels and 20 pixels wide and in a second round between 10 pixels and 1 pixel wide. In these images, there was more clarity and specificity of my subject.

Once I was done with the slit scanning I realized that the images looked like some type of glitch panorama, I loved this result and I further established it by combining two consecutive images together in Photoshop. I think this added a certain density to the slit scan because you could see more of the movement in one image. After, I wanted to do something more to make the images a little more vibrant, this drew me back to the example we had earlier in class to imitate infra-red imaging. By changing the RGB values to 100, 200 and -200 respectively I achieved this interesting yellow/orange-ish hue on all the trees and it almost looked like the images were taken I the fall/autumn. I think it came out the best in the sky panorama type images. Overall, I was very satisfied by the body of art that I created, I enjoyed exploring the art of slit scanning and it’s safe to say the results speak for themselves.

  • Grey Instagram Icon
  • Grey YouTube Icon
  • Grey Tumblr Icon
  • Grey Facebook Icon

© 2017 by Wamaitha

  • Grey Instagram Icon
  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey Tumblr Icon
  • Grey YouTube Icon